Recipe | Chai Tea Bread
A new tea bread recipe is always welcome. And one from a "Light Cakes and Desserts" recipe book! And only 302 calories per serving (if you take a whole slice)! Let me know how you find it!
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus standing
Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
5 Chai tea bags
300mls (1/2 pint) Boiling water
250g Self-raising flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
150g Light Muscovado sugar
300g Mixed dried fruit
50g Brazil nuts, chopped
1 Egg, beaten
1) Preheat oven to 160oC/140oCFan/325oF/Gas Mark 3 and grease and
line a 1kg (2lb) or 1.3L (2 1/4 pint) loaf tin.
2) Stir the tea bags into the measured water in a jug and leave to stand for
3) Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, dried fruit and nuts in a
bowl. Remove the tea bags from the water, squeezing out the excess
water. Thinly slice the butter into the water and stir until melted. Leave
to cool slightly. Add to the dry ingredients with the egg and mix
4) Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it into the corners.
Bake in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or until risen, firm and a skewer
inserted into the centre comes out clean. Loosen the cake at the ends
and transfer to wire rack. Peel off the lining paper and leave to cool.
5) Spread the top with chai cream frosting, if you prefer! (See below)
Chai cream frosting: (113 calories per serving)
1. Put 50mls of milk and 3 Chai tea bags in a saucepan and bring to the
boil. Remove from the heat and leave the tea bags to infuse into the milk
until cold. Discard the tea bags (squeeze out excess first).
2. Beat together 200g of cream cheese and 25g of very soft unsalted
butter in a bowl until smooth.
3. Beat in the flavoured milk and 75g of sifted icing sugar.
Hi, I'm Lola!
A self-confessed hair addict! On here, I share my hair journey and my inspiration.
I' m more than my hair though: I will also share food and body product recipes that I love!
Ps: you'll also find the occasional product review thrown in!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictures: I do not own the copyright to all the pictures. Hence, I will credit the source.