Yes, you guessed it! I went to Copenhagen, Denmark!
Why? You ask... Why not? I'd never been there and we figured we should get a fresh perspective on the New Year. So we went in February! lol! (More pictures below!)
Seriously though! We were just so excited to have a great deal to travel and Air B'n'B, that we signed up and went back to work.
Only to realise as the day grew closer that YES, we are travelling to another COLD country and we are sightseeing! *yikes*
The trip was very early in the morning (another thing about cheap tickets!) and we were suitably tired on arrival in the colourful, bike-filled city! We managed to eventually by train tickets out of the airport to the centre of town and we walked from the station to our new digs. And walked around the block in the wrong direction! Yep, sleep-deprivation does that to you!
Finally, we were welcomed warmly by our hostess' housemate, M who pointed us to the room where we ooh'd and aah'd about the space and the view (over a beautiful river parted by a statuesque bridge)! Our hostess (also an M) joined us soon and we were encouraged to do a bit of exploring with the aim of finding food nearby.
Well, we found a lovely Turkish restaurant where we were served a portion that could have fed 3 or 4 people (but we handled it well, doggy bag please!). Humus, Tzatziki, Falafel balls, Bread and 3 types of salad with a side of ....crisps! Yummy!
Then we did what any two jet-setting women would do: went home to catch some Z's!
I won't give you a play by play of the next 2 days! Here are the highlights:
1) Went to Manfreds and tried a 7-course taster menu with a naughty Red wine (for my friend of course...I'm a good girl!) and felt thoroughly stuffed!
2) Ran 8-miles around Copenhagen on the Saturday morning to afternoon to see the "Little Mermaid" statue, a Star-shaped castle and battlements and Christiania (a commune-style dwelling with alternative market stalls and bars! Hipster haven, perhaps? It's found in Christianshavn)
3) Went to a Jazz Festival show at the ... and ate them out of Peanuts (kidding, they had loads left)!
4) Ate at Maven, a posh restaurant which gave us steak and chips! Yep, you can take us out of England...hmmm!
5) Ran another 14 miles on the Sunday morning (I had to, I'm in training!). I also bounced mid-run on a set of Trampolines in the centre of town!
6) Enjoyed looking at the canals and eating out at the Market stalls which stocked pretty yummy deli foods.
So, I feel it was a good trip but next time, we're going in Summer!
Although the same temperature as London, it was just too cold to be fully immersed in the atmosphere! We needed more than one sunny day (the day we arrived) and we wouldn't have seen had as much without the running we did (to keep warm as well).
Have you been to Copenhagen or some other part of Denmark? How did you find it?
Have you been anywhere this year (other than your home town)?
In other news, I'm running the London Marathon at the end of April (24th to be exact).
I am raising money for MacMillan Cancer Support who provide counselling and so much more to people with a diagnosis of cancer.
Please do sponsor me and follow my training journey on my Youtube channel!
Sponsorship page: www.virginmoneygiving.com/lolaruns
See you in the next instalment! (pictures below)
Ps: check out the "Lola Bakes" blog for all things food and cakes!
Hi, I'm Lola!
A self-confessed hair addict! On here, I share my hair journey and my inspiration.
I' m more than my hair though: I will also share food and body product recipes that I love!
Ps: you'll also find the occasional product review thrown in!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictures: I do not own the copyright to all the pictures. Hence, I will credit the source.