Red Velvet with Real Chocolate!
So I felt like baking again yesterday and what hits the spot better than a bit of Red Velvet? This recipe comes to you from the tomes of Lola's Forever Recipe book by Lola's Cupcakes bakery! I have tweaked it to my specifications for lower sugar content, and added Oreos....naturally!
Makes 16 cupcakes
Prep time 30 mins
Cooking time 16-20 minutes.
110g Softened, Unsalted Butter
125g Soft light brown sugar (originally 160g caster sugar)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
1/2 teaspoon Red food colouring (I used Cochineal Red)
3 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
3/4 tablespoon white wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
35g Dark/ Bittersweet chocolate, melted
190g Plain flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
3/4 tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
70ml Whole Milk (I used Almond milk)
70ml Single cream (I used Creamy natural yoghurt)
35g Ground almonds
1 packet of Oreos, separated cream on one piece
Cream Cheese Icing
40g Unsalted Butter, softened
75g Icing sugar
150g Cream cheese (I use Medium fat Philadelphia)
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (I left this out).
Oreos (use the side without cream for tops)
1) Preheat the oven to 160oC Fan/180oC /350oF/Gas Mark 4.
2) Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all of butter and sugar.
3) Add the food colouring followed by the egg and mix in slowly. Beat in the oil and vinegar (or lemon juice), then the melted chocolate.
4) Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder in another bowl. Add this to the batter in batches, alternating with milk and cream until evenly mixed to a soft batter.
5) Pour in the ground almonds and mix until colour is even (scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Avoid over-mixing.
6) First place half an Oreo - with the cream on it - into the bottom of each muffin case. Then use an ice-cream scoop to pour the mixture in each case - until just under 2/3rds full.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 16-20 minutes or until risen and a skewer inserted into cakes comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1) Place the butter in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until smooth and soft. Optional: add the vanilla bean paste.
2) Sift in the Icing sugar in batches, mixing to incorporate in between (prevent lots of icing clouds). Mix well until pale and soft.
3) Add the cream cheese and mix well until smooth and glossy. Don't over-mix.
4) Now either pipe the frosting onto the cakes or spoon on and use a palette knife to spread onto the cakes.
5) Finally, place one half of an Oreo biscuit (no cream on it) onto the top of the cupcake and pat down gently to secure.
I love these cupcakes and they are a real show-stopper! Let me know how you get on with this recipe! I know, I owe you more recipes...carrot cupcakes are up there!
See you soon!
Hi, I'm Lola!
A self-confessed hair addict! On here, I share my hair journey and my inspiration.
I' m more than my hair though: I will also share food and body product recipes that I love!
Ps: you'll also find the occasional product review thrown in!
Email me at email@example.com
Pictures: I do not own the copyright to all the pictures. Hence, I will credit the source.